Welcome to the first patch of open beta. 0.8.3 is a small one, so we’ve got a short changelist, but check out our new “Dev Notes” section for details on how LoR patches will work as well as some thoughts on the state of LoR’s XP systems.
Since this is LoR’s first “live” patch, we’d like to provide some overall info on what you can expect in terms of designations, cadence, etc. You know, exactly the kind of exciting content you came here for.
First, patch designations, aka “why the heck this one is called 0.8.3.” This patch is the last we named prior to open beta kicking off, but with the next patch we’ll move to a “0.9” designation for our remaining beta patches. Once LoR officially launches later this year, we’ll move to “1.0.”
Next, patch timing. For now, we plan to patch every other Tuesday (so every two weeks) at 9:30 AM Pacific Time (2:30 AM Seoul Time, 5:30 PM GMT). We’ll release patch notes at 11 AM PT the day before patches release.
Finally, patch size and content. For now, we’re switching off between large patches and small patches with each release, with 0.8.3 being a small one and 0.9.0 in two weeks being a large one. The biggest difference between small and large patches will be balance and major card updates—generally, we’ll consolidate those in the once-per-month large patches. We won’t get into more details right now since, to be honest, they’ll probably change at some point.
– Therewolf, Product Manager, Live Operations
While there are no associated changes in this patch, we’re keeping an eye on how y’all are engaging with the XP changes introduced with open beta. One of our main goals for progression is to encourage play through rewards without forcing chore-like behaviors—we want you to have efficient ways to progress, we just also want those experiences to be fun. For example, we don’t want players to feel like they need to grind AI games or snap concede matches to maximize their progression. No changes for now, but we’re already looking at potential adjustments.
– RiotClockwork, Product Lead, Metagame Systems
Boards & Guardians
• 3 new guardians have arrived in Runeterra:
• Boards & guardians can now be purchased in the store.
• Animation speed increases:
• Whirling Death
• Yasuo’s stun / recall damage
• New installs of LoR now have a smaller initial size so new players can start playing faster—post-tutorial game content will download as you play through tutorials, instead of all before.
Bug Fixes • Purchasing cards with shards or wildcards now correctly updates your displayed total remaining.
• Fixed an issue where players weren’t correctly receiving cards after purchasing them with wildcards.
• Various fixes for minor social panel issues (delays, unresolvable notifications, etc.)
• Used Cask Salesman now shows in Expeditions archetypes.
• Anivia now correctly appears in two Expeditions archetypes, rather than three.
• Reduced volume on ‘The Box’ and ‘Thresh’s The Box.’
• T-Hex leg rotation fixed in celebration animation.
• Improved resolution on T-Hex and Poro Collection images.
• Dev notes
• Lor patches
• Xp systems
• Boards & guardians
• Bug fixes
For more information, please go to https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/patch-0-8-3-notes/